Which are the Best Micrometers? What are the best micrometers to buy? Best Rated Micrometers – Top 10 Picks – Micrometer Reviews
By Michael Elson Vice President Penn Tool Co published on February 26, 2017 in micrometers
This list contains the top brands in precision tools such as Starrett, Mitutoyo, Fowler, SPI, and Igaging and we put the list together trying to find out which is the best micrometer.
Any of the micrometers on the list will do the job for you perfectly well. However, you want the Best Micrometer for the money. What you after is a device that will give you accurate readings. So what makes one micrometer better than the other? A better question is why is one micrometer more expensive than another one. I ask this question every time I buy a bottle of wine. What is it about this bottle for $10.00 that I am missing if I bought a $50.00 bottle.
Basically I ask this question every time I buy anything. For this article lets stick to best micrometers, but the point has been made that basically on every decision you make you are always asking yourself should I spend more or less money for the item in question. There are several factors that make one more expensive than the other one. Factors such as price, quality durability, country of origin, and features. High priced micrometers can last a very long time if they are cared for properly. Some of the lower priced ones are almost like disposable razors. You know going in that these will get the job done but may not be your go to best micrometer in your toolbox. These lower priced models might not be there in a few years. Lets take a look at Best Micrometers!
1. Mitutoyo 293-340 Digimatic Outside Micrometer, 0-1″ Range, 0.00005″/0.001mm Resolution, IP65, No Output, with Ratchet
Number one on the list may I present to you one of my favorite and most popular micrometers. The Mitutoyo 293-340. Back in 1934 the founder of Mitutoyo Yehan Numata started his company with one product in mind. THE MICROMETER. Many years have past but Mitutoyo is still making some of highest quality micrometers around. They have gone digital now and perform like as you would expect something out of Japan to perform. Think of your favorite Japanese car. Or if you don’t like Japanese cars, you certainly are someone who appreciates craftsmanship and value. That is what you get with the Mitutoyo 293-340. Coming in at under $150.00 the micrometer is certainly one of value. Priced just right. Not too high and certainly not so low you are thinking this has to be a piece of crap. No need to protect this in your toolbox. This micrometer comes standard with a hard plastic case that will protect your measuring device for many years down the road. With carbide tipped measuring faces can you really go wrong?
Mitutoyo Coolant Proof Micrometer – 293-340
Range: 0-1″ w/ Ratchet Stop
with Dust/Water Protection Conforming to IP65 Level
• IP65 protection level, enabling use in environments exposed to cutting oil, etc*
*Anti-corrosion treatment is required after use.
• Measurement data output function is available with a water-resistant connection cable.
• Auto power ON/OFF function.
• Certificate of inspection* is included. (50mm/2” or less range models)
*It is not the type used to obtain calibration certificates.
• With a standard bar except for 0-25mm/0-1″ model.
• Supplied in fitted case. Plastic case up to 150mm/6″, Wooden box over 150mm/6″
2. iGaging 0-1″ Digital Electronic Micrometer w/Large Display Inch/Metric
IGaging Part# 35-040-025
IGaging is a relative newcomer on our list and it has been selling fast. Priced on the lower end of the spectrum, the IGaging 0-1″ Digital Electronic Micrometer will not disappoint. For under $75.00 you are walking away with a device you can count on for accuracy but won’t break the bank. Hobbyists and students who may be just getting into the metalworking industry might want to jump in at this level and get their feet wet. I compare this model to maybe shopping at IKEA. You know when you are walking in that you are not looking for high end high priced furniture. However after walking around and sitting on some beds you are like wow this furniture is half bad. That is how we feel about IGaging. Wow, you are pretty damn good!
iGaging IP40 Digital Micrometers
- Class leading Micrometer
- Easy to read LCD Display
- Accurate to 0.00015”
- Hardened and Ground Spindle
- Data output
- Carbide anvil(s)
- Resolution: 0.00005”/0.001mm
- Durable IP40 rating
UPC 787461658239 , 810823012162
EAN 0810823012162 , 0787461658239
3. The Starrett 795XFL-1 Starrett LCD Outside Micrometer, IP67, Friction Thimble, Lock Nut, Carbide Faces, Inch
What can we say about this bad boy is that it’s made really well. Everything you would expect from Starrett. A company who still manufactures its tools in the good old USA. I compare this to the Ford Mustang. Made in America and solid. For all those people out there who only want to buy American but say they can’t find any good options. The Starrett 795XFL-1 will not disappoint you. You have your Ford Mustang or Harley Davidson in the palm of your hand now. Comes in a little on the high side of a 0-1″ micrometer, but you get what you pay for.
Starrett Electronic Micrometer
IP67 Protection Against Coolant, Water, Dust & Dirt
- RS232 output port for data transmission to Starrett DataSure® Wireless Data Collection Systems or wire-based data systems.On Series 795 only.
- Series 796 does not have data output.
- Balanced, tapered frame
- Starrett no-glare satin chrome finish on thimble and sleeve
- Hard and stable one piece spindle
- Large, easy-to-read LCD readout
- Micro-lapped carbide measuring faces
- Automatic OFF after 20 minutes of nonuse
- Inch/millimeter conversion
- Measurement HOLD button
- Zero tool at any position – retain and return to true zero
- Resolution: .00005″ (0.001mm)
- Accuracies: Inch: ±.0001″,Metric: ±.002mm
4. SPI IP65 Electronic Outside Micrometer 13-731-5
At #4 we are happy to show you the SPI 0-1″ Outside Mike. She is a beauty and the best thing about this dream micrometer is it’s NIST Certified Right Out of the Box. That is a savings of about $50.00 right there and coming in total at under $150.00 this best micrometer certainly is a steal. Not only are you getting a great micrometer, it is also testing for accuracy and supplied with the certificate proving it! Wow that is great don’t you think? SPI warranties it’s product for a year so you know that you are in good hands with this Micrometer. I think you will be really happy with the value you get here and lots of Penn Tool’s customers agree. Go with the SPI- “Your Partner in Precision.”
SPI IP65 Electronic Outside Micrometer, 0-1″ – 13-731-5
- IP65 level protection
- Carbide measuring faces
- Spindle: 0.25″ dia.
- Standard included above 0-1″ range
- SPC output. (cable optional)
- Painted frame with heat shield
- Resolution: 0.00005″/0.001 mm
- Absolute and incremental measuring modes
- Ratchet thimble
- Splindle lock
- Certification of calibration traceable to NIST
- Furnished in fitted case
0 to 1 Inch Range, 0.0001 Inch Resolution, Standard Throat, IP65 Electronic Outside Micrometer
||0 – 1″
|Fract Minimum Range Measurement
|SPI Part Number
||Certificate of Calibration Traceable to NIST
5. Fowler 54-860-001 Electronic IP54 Outside Micrometer, 0-1″/0-25mm Measuring Range, 0.00005″/0.001mm Resolution, 0.00016″ Accuracy, RS-232 Output
Coming at #5 a brand that never disappoints, the Fowler 54-860-001 is oh so sweet and under $90.00 at the time this article was written. Fowler has always been synonymous with high quality and great value. Our boys from Boston, actually Newton Mass, give it their all like the New England Patriots did this year in the Super Bowl. I am not saying that Fowler is some come from behind brand, but they are like an old reliable pal. Always there for you and not going to rip you off. What else do you want in this micrometer? Pick up one of these and you are sure to be as happy as Tom Brady. Well maybe not that happy, but try out some Fowler Tools and you are sure to smile knowing you got a great tool.
Fowler Electronic Micrometer, 0-1″ – 54-860-001
- Large, easy to read LCD display
- Automatic switch off
- Accuracy: .00016″ 0-1″
- Direct RS232 output
- Insulated frames
- Electronics are protected by tough, ABS housing
- Friction thimble
- Includes fitted case
- Digital outside micrometers with a choice of measuring range and flat anvil/spindle pair for general purpose measuring
- LCD performs direct inch/metric conversions and has a switchable resolution of 0.00005″ and 0.001mm
- Friction thimble provides smooth and quiet operation, and is suitable for one-handed operation
- Certified IP54 for dust and water protection and ABS housing provides durability and protection of electrical components
- RS-232 output provides ability to export readings to a computer (cable not included)
- UNSPSC Code 41111601